How do I pay a fine or set a court date?
Contact the Lancaster Municipal Court at 220 W. Main Lancaster or contact the court by phone at 972-218-1334.

How do I renew my Driver`s License?
Check the Texas Department of Public Safety Website at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

How can I attend the Citizen`s Police Academy?
The Lancaster Citizens Public Safety Academy is 10 weeks in length and meets two hours weekly one night per week (usually 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.). Several of the subjects may be taught on a Saturday morning (from 9:00 a.m. to about 12 noon). The academy will meet at the Public Safety Building located at 1650 N. Dallas Avenue. The Citizens Public Safety Academy is FREE; there is no cost to the participant. To apply, complete an application form and return it to the Lancaster Police Department, Public Safety Building, 1650 North Dallas Avenue, Lancaster, Texas 75134. Call 972-218-2700 or 972-218-2705 for an application.We accept applications year round.

Will the Police Department do fingerprints for the public?
Yes, fingerprints are done for a $10.00 charge. You must provide your own fingerprint cards. Fingerprint hours are from 1:00 pm- 4:00 pm on Thursdays only. You will need to bring a picture ID with you.

Is there an alarm fee for residences and businesses?
Yes. A residential alarm permit is $50 annually. A business alarm permit is $100 annually. Seniors (65 and older) are exempt from the fee for a residential alarm permit. Come to the Records Division at the Police Department for an alarm permit application. Only checks, money orders, and cash are accepted.

Is there a fee for `false alarms`?
Yes. The first 3 false burglar alarms are free. The 4th and 5th alarms are $50.00, the 6th and 7th alarms are $75.00, and the fee for 8 or more alarms is $100.00 each during any twelve month registration period. False robbery alarms are charged $100 each for the first 3. The charge for four or more false alarms is $200 each.

Is there a curfew in the City of Lancaster?

Yes. A minor, under 17 years of age, commits an offense if he/she remains in any public place or on the premises of any establishment with the city during curfew hours. A parent or guardian commits an offense if he knowingly permits, or by insufficient control allows, the minor to remain in any public place or on the premises of any establishment within the city during curfew hours. The owner, operator, or any employee of an establishment commits an offense if he knowingly allows a minor to remain upon the premises during curfew hours. Below are the listed curfew hours for minors.

Sunday - Thursday from 11:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m.

Friday – Saturday from Midnight - 6:00 a.m.

Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. while school is in session.

Where do I file a complaint or a commendation regarding police department employees?
Citizens may file a complaint in person against a departmental employee. An on duty supervisor is required to speak with any citizen regarding an employee. No employee has the authority to talk any citizen from making a complaint against an employee. Citizens may also commend an employee in person or by contacting 972-218-2700 or in person at 1650 North Dallas Avenue.

Who do I contact for employment with the Police Department?
All city job postings are listed on the city website (www.lancaster-tx.com) under the employment tab. On this website, you may signup to be notified for upcoming civil service test dates. You may also contact the Human Resources Department at 972-275-1790 or the Police Department Recruiting Department by calling 972-218-2700.

My car has been impounded. What should I do?
Vehicles are stored at 24-Hour Wrecker`s impound facility located at 616 North Jefferson in Lancaster. If you are the registered owner you can go directly to the pound, and show them proof of ownership in the form of a registration or title. If you are not the registered owner you can come by the Police Department 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to obtain a release. You must show a valid drivers license and proof of insurance, and you will need to show an authorization form from the registered owner to release the vehicle to you. In cases where the owner is in jail, the jail will have to be contacted and may be able to assist in getting a release signed. A supervisor will check to ensure that all of the paperwork is satisfactory and will then authorize the vehicle release. At that time you can go to the auto pound and pay the fees. 24-Hour wrecker can be contacted at (972)227-5188.

Can I get a copy of my report at the Police Department?
Yes; however, there is a charge if you get a report at the Police Department. Obtaining your report via the internet is free.

Where is the Lancaster Jail located and does the Police Department accept checks or credit cards for payment of bonds in the jail?
The Lancaster Police Department contracts with the City of Desoto Jail. Individuals arrested by Lancaster Officers are transported to the Tri City Jail, located at 714 East Beltline Road, DeSoto, Texas (469)658-3081. The jail only accepts cash or Visa and Master Card. There is an ATM located at the Jail entrance.

Back To FAQ List

Request in process, please wait...